Very flavorful alternative to black beans and rice. Quinoa is a nutty grain from South America.
Quinoa and Black Beans
Yield: 5 servings
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.