They have all the great flaky butteriness of plain shortbread, with the added benefit of sweet, spicy, fragrant cinnamon. They’re pink and candy filled, and truly my favorite flavor of cookie that doesn’t have chocolate in it.
Cinnamon Red Hots Shortbread Cookies
Yield : 8 to 10 cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (margarine for vegan/dairy free)
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour (GF flour for gluten free)
- 6 tablespoons crushed red hots candies
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sugar, sprinkles, or red hots for garnishing, optional
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat the butter and confectioners’ sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the salt, flour, and crushed candy, and continue beating until everything is fully incorporated and the mixture resembles wet sand with large clumps. Stir in the extracts just until a soft, smooth dough forms, about 30 seconds. If the mixture is very dry, stir in a little cream to pull it together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, and shape as desired (press into a shortbread pan or mold, press individual cookies, or roll to about 3/8-inch thickness and cut) and sprinkle with the sugar or sprinkles, if desired. If using candy, don’t add it until the cookies come out of the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes in a shortbread pan, or 25-30 minutes as large cookies. Bake for 15 minutes for smaller bite sized cookies.